Saturday, August 23, 2008

Treasures found on You Tube

My assignment included reponses to postings by classmates on literacy and diversity issues. Someone wrote that not every one could be taught as if they came from "cookie cutter white middle class families" and so I posted the following:

Goodness we are hard on ourselves!"not the cookie cutter, white middle class family."?

There is at least a little bit of character from family to family on the cul-de-sac I live on, or the surburb I grew up in.

Cookie cutter could be applied to other groups as well, any group that tends to have things in common.cookie cutter seems judgemental somehow - maybe I'm just too sensitive.

What else could be used?
"not the cool, white middle class family"
"not the enviable, white middle class family that the world covets to create in it's own national boarders"

then again Malvina Reynolds agreed with you when she wrote "little boxes", I like that song - maybe I'll just chill and agree that cookie cutter is an ok description. Check out one of the early protests against cookie cutters:Malvina sings little boxes on the intro to Weeds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9s-KYMxjMs&feature=related

You can see who Malvina was at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sooNNv9qHg

No comments: