Sunday, June 1, 2008

Linguistics and Math

I'm taking a course in the linguistic analysis of english. It includes gammar. I haven't thought about grammar since 7th grade. I've found however a connection between math and linguistics.

I'm reading God Created the Integers by Stephen Hawking.

In the section on George Boole, his thesis that introduces what will become boolean logic and the foundation of digital computing is titled "An Investigation of the Laws of Thought" and we find:

"It should be within the province of a general method in Logic to express the final relation among the elements of the conclusion by any admissible kind of proposistion, or in any selected order of terms. ... To a choice or selection in the order of the terms, we may refer whatsoever is dependent upon the appearance of particular elements in the subject or in the predicate, in the antecedent or in the consequent, of that proposition which forms the "conclusion".


Reading this after having refreshed myself on the meansing of subject, predicate, antecedent and consequent allows me to get more out of reading Boole. Math is not a universal language, there is a lot of linguistics that go with it and the studies of Math and linguistics are related.

1 comment:

Coriolis said...

What?????

Hey man, welcome to the blogosphere! I know this isn’t the case; however I’m going to take credit for your decision to start a blog. It gives me a false sense of import… Although, to be honest with you, I have no idea who even wrote this. I mean whoever it was sure did a wonderful job of not compromising their identity.

Blog on, my man, blog on…

Coriolis